What do you think these people are doing?
It looks like they are watching something in the sky.
Have you ever seen the eclipse of the moon or eclipse of the Sun? How do these eclipse occur? When is the next eclipse? What would you see if you are a Malaysian astronaut on the Moon during these eclipses?Let's find it out togther.The eclipse of the Moon occurs when the Earth is between the Moon and the Sun in a straight line.
A total lunar eclipse took place on December 10, 2011.
The picture shown below is the sequence (from right to left) as the moon passed across the sky from 20:12 thru until 00:19wst (UTC +8) in Serpentine Dam, Western Australia.
The eclipse of the Sun occurs when the Moon is between the Earth and the Sun in a straight line.
|Partial eclipse of the Sun|
Wrap it up
ü An eclipse of the Moon occurs when the Earth is directly between the Moon and the Sun.
ü Eclipse of the Moon occurs when the position of the Sun, the Earth and the Moon are in a straight line.
ü An eclipse of the Sun occurs when the Moon is directly between the Sun and the Earth.
ü During eclipse of the Sun, the Moon and the Earth are in a straight line.
ü Eclipse could be in forms of total eclipse and parital eclipse.
Before ending this lesson, let's do some exercise.
Fill in the blanks with the words given.
1. For an eclipse to occur, the sun, the Moon and the Earth must be in a ____________ line.
2. The Moon is between the Sun and the Earth during the eclipse of the ____________.
3. The Earth is between the Sun and the Moon during the eclipse of the ____________.
4. The eclipse of the moon occurs at ____________ and can last for several hours.
5. The eclipse of the Sun takes place during the ____________.
6. During the eclipse of the Sun , the Moon is in between the Sun and the ____________ .
7. A ____________ eclipse of the Moon is observed when the Moon moves into the darkest part of the shadow of the Earth.
8. When a total ____________ eclipse occurs, the Moon passes in front of the Sun and either partially or totally blocks it from our view.
9. During a total solar eclipse, more and more of the face of the Sun becomes covered untl there is complete ____________ during the day.
10. A total eclipse of the Moon can be seen a few times in a ____________.